Frequently Asked Questions
Any residents of Burns, Caledonia, Hazelton, Perry, Shiawassee, Venice Townships and the cities of Corunna and Perry can obtain a Library Card for free. Residents of contracted service areas including Maple Grove Township, may purchase a Library Card for an annual fee of $35.00. For those who don’t reside in our service area may purchase a Library Card for an annual fee of $55.00.
A reciprocal borrowing agreement between Community District Library and Genesee District Library, Baker College and Vernon District Library will allow patrons to borrow materials free of charge.
In order to receive a library card, please bring photo identification and verification of address to one of our Community District Library branches. If you are (15) years of age or under and do not possess Michigan ID, your parent or guardian must accompany you to the library to show his or her picture ID and verification of address.
Preferred Forms of Identification
- Michigan Driver's License*
- Michigan Identification Card*
- Government issued ID Cards including Military Identification
- University or School Identification
*Michigan State DL or ID is preferred, but we accept out-of-state DLs or IDs until you can obtain Michigan identification.
Verification of Address
If your current address is not listed on your photo identification, please bring one of the following documents along with your photo ID:
- Utility bill (phone, electric, water)
- Official mail with a recent postmark (bank statement, insurance bill, etc.)
- Vehicle registration
- Property tax bill
Community District Library offers 4 types of Library cards:
- Regular Library Card: A library card may be issued at no charge to residents of Burns, Caledonia, Hazelton, Perry, Shiawassee and Venice Townships and the cities of Corunna and Perry. A library card may be issued to any patron who is sixteen (16) years and older and with a valid drivers’ license, or picture identification and a completed library application form. Picture identification must show applicants current address. Patrons fifteen (15) years or younger must bring a parent or guardian into the library to sign the application as the responsible party and provide a valid drivers’ license or state ID. Property owners who own (and continues to own) property within the Community District Library service area may obtain a library card. Regular library cards will expire every three (3) years.
- Library Card for contracted service areas: Residents living in Maple Grove Township may purchase a library card for an annual fee of $35.00 per household.
- Non-resident Card: People who do not qualify for a regular library card and do not reside in the contracted service areas of CDL may purchase a non-resident library card for an annual fee of $55.00 per family. Teachers who are non-resident teachers may borrow materials for use in the classroom within the library’s legal service area free of charge.
- Student Card: Student cards are available to students who attend school in the CDL service area, but live outside of the district. Student cards are limited to 1 print material at a time. No audio visual material is included. Student cards will expire on an annual basis.
Using and Replacing Your Card
- Please bring your card on each library visit.
- Report lost or stolen library cards immediately.
- Picture identification is necessary to replace a lost or stolen library card. Parents/legal guardians must sign a new application and provide picture ID to replace the card of children under 15.
- It is your responsibility to let us know when you have changed your mailing address, telephone number or email address so we may contact you regarding your library account.
- In compliance with the Michigan Library Privacy Act, the Library may not give information about your library record to anyone but you.
- You can check your library card online by logging in to My Account, or by calling any Library location during regular business hours.
Information for Parents
Parents, please share with your child the importance of his/her library card and the responsibility it entails. A library card provides your child access to all library materials, including DVDs, CDs and magazines.
In addition to those mentioned above, your Library Card entitles you to these privileges and responsibilities:
- You may return Community District Library materials to any of our 7 branches.
- You may receive email or phone notification about any hold items ready for pick-up, and overdues. If you choose to receive notices by email you will receive a courtesy reminder before an item is due and overdue notices at 7 and 14 days overdue.
- You may lose your borrowing privileges when fines have accumulated to more than $5.00. Privileges are restored when items are returned and fines and fees are paid.
- You will be referred to a collection agency for recovery of long overdue items or excessive fines.
Library users must present their library card or photo identification at the time of checkout. Children who do not have their library card may not check out materials. Borrowing limits per patron for library materials includes up to 50 print and/or audio and up to 5 Dvd’s.
By signing a library card application, patrons acknowledge that they are subject to the circulation policies, procedures and rules of the Community District Library.